Banana Bread

Thursday, June 3, 2010

My experiences with baking so far have been disastrous (to say the least). I almost quit baking till these 3 bananas threatened to go bad on me. That was when I decided to give the banana bread a try, once again.
The first time I tried making banana bread I used a food processor and in my enthusiasm I overmixed the batter which led to a chewy rubbery solid mass that made my jaws exercise quite a bit. This time I used a plain old whisk and fork to mix everything and it turned out pretty well. Maybe I’ll try my hand at baking again.

Ingredients:
Sugar – 1 cup
Butter – 8 tbsp (room temperature)
Eggs – 2
Ripe bananas – 3
Milk – 1 tbsp
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
Flour – 2 cups
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Baking soda – 1 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp

Procedure:
Preheat oven to 325F.

In a large mixing bowl beat the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

In another bowl mash the bananas with a fork. Mix in the milk and the vanilla.

In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make sure there are no lumps.

Now add the banana mixture to the sugar and egg mixture and stir until combined.
Next add the flour mixture and mix until flour just disappears. Do not overmix as this will make the bread rubbery.

Pour batter into a buttered loaf pan and bake for an hour to 1 hr 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Cool completely before slicing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment