Spicy Mango Shrimp Curry

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

I was cleaning out my fridge when I found this homemade sweet and sour mango chutney sitting in a corner. I had my mind set on making mango chicken for a while but I never had the two ingredients at the same time. This time too there was the mango but no chicken, so I decided to go ahead with shrimp.
If you are using fresh or frozen mangoes add the mangoes before adding the coconut milk.

Ingredients:
Shrimp – 35-40
Onion – 1 medium (chopped)
Garlic – 4 cloves (finely chopped)
Bell pepper (optional) – 1 (diced)
Mango chutney – 5 tbsp
Light coconut milk – 6 oz.
Fish sauce (optional) – 1 tsp
Red chili flakes – 1 ½ tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tbsp

Procedure:
My family loves their shrimp soft and tender so I pressure cook the shrimp. You can directly add the shrimp to the pan once the gravy is done.

In a pan heat oil and add red chili flakes and garlic and fry until the garlic is cooked. Next add the chopped onions and sauté until golden brown.

To the onion mixture add 3 tbsp of the mango chutney and fish sauce. Stir until the chutney has blended into the mixture.

Now add water (I used the fish stock from boiling the shrimp) and let simmer. When the gravy has reached the desired thickness, add coconut milk, shrimp and bell pepper (if using) and bring to a boil. Cook until peppers are cooked but still retain their crunch.

Garnish with sliced chilies and a few sprigs of fresh cilantro. Serve with steamed rice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment