Tiramisu

Friday, August 27, 2010


Tiramisu is a dessert I can’t resist and I have waited a long time to make it at home. What kept me waiting was the high cholesterol level. As soon as I found out that my level of cholesterol had decreased quite a bit I went straight to the grocery store and bought all the ingredients, promising that this is the one time that I’ll be making it. But the fact that I bought double the quantity of mascarpone cheese hints otherwise. Promises are after all meant to be broken ;)

Ingredients:
Eggs – 3 large (yolks and whites separated)
Mascarpone cheese – 8 oz
Espresso – 1 ½ cups
Brandy – 2 tbsp
Sugar – 3 tbsp
Ladyfingers – 20
Cocoa powder

Procedure:
In a large mixing bowl beat the egg yolks, 1 tbsp espresso, sugar and brandy for 2-3 minutes. Now add the mascarpone cheese and beat for another 4-5 minutes until smooth.

In a separate bowl beat the egg whites with a pinch of sugar until the whites turn into stiff peaks. Gently fold this mixture into the mascarpone mixture.

In a flat dish pour the espresso and dip the lady fingers in it. Layer on bottom of serving dish. Spread half of the mascarpone mixture and dust the top with cocoa powder.

Continue layering finishing with a mascarpone layer. Dust cocoa powder on top.

Refrigerate 2-8 hours before serving.

Garnish with bittersweet chocolate shavings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment